From The Experts: Eighteen — The Magic Number?

Posted By on April 27, 2017

Editor’s Note: This is the latest in a continuing series from Valley and regional professionals offering tips on their trade. Do you have an area of expertise that you’d like to share with our readership? The range of topics is essentially endless, whether it be home improvement or automotive, or even cooking or sewing. E-mail if you are interested.

by Gerald M. Dorn, J.D., EPLS, AEP, Anderson, Dorn & Rader, Ltd. Legacy and Wealth Planning Attorneys

Ask the parent of an eighteen-year-old whether their child is an adult, and you’re likely to get a wry smile.

Eighteen-year-olds like to think of themselves as adults, but parents tend to look at their young adult offspring and see … teenagers.

Legally speaking, however, your child’s eighteenth birthday is a huge milestone. This is when your child reaches the age of majority in most states, and magically – literally overnight – transforms from a child into an adult. You might look at your eighteen-year-old and see an average teenager, but the state sees a grownup. In the eyes of the government, your child is capable of registering to vote, managing their own money and other assets, and taking charge of their own decision-making – whether you agree with those decisions or not.
As of this birthday, you are no longer automatically empowered to make decisions on your child’s behalf. In addition, you have no automatic right to access your child’s medical records or financial accounts, and you cannot step in and take control of your child’s property.

Being the parent of an eighteen-year-old can present a number of practical challenges, particularly if your child goes to an out-of-state college or takes a gap year to travel abroad. Here’s an example: Your daughter spends the summer doing volunteer work in South America. While she’s away, the student apartment she’s had her eye on becomes available. The lease needs to be signed right away, but she is out of the country and there’s no way to get her signature. Does she have to miss out on the apartment she wants so much?
With good planning, you can be in a position to help. Your estate planning attorney can help you and your child put together a simple set of documents that will make life a little more convenient for both of you and will allow you to step in if there is an emergency. Here’s what each document does: Durable Financial Power of Attorney: With a Durable Financial Power of Attorney, your child appoints you as their “agent” and gives you the authority to manage their money or property under certain defined circumstances. This is the document that, if appropriately drafted, can allow you to sign a lease on behalf of your child.

Healthcare Power of Attorney: This document allows your child to appoint you to make medical decisions on their behalf if your child is unable to make those decisions. Without a healthcare power of attorney, if your eighteen-year-old is seriously injured or gravely ill, there is no requirement for the doctors to allow you to participate in the medical decision-making process.
HIPAA Authorization Form: Under the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, medical providers must be extremely cautious about the unauthorized release of their patients’ information. Once your child turns eighteen, doctors are prohibited by law from sharing their medical information with you – unless your child has given them express consent to do so. The HIPAA Authorization Form allows you access to your child’s medical records, whether you need a copy of their vaccination record for college enrollment or you need to address a more serious health concern.

At eighteen, your child is likely ready to branch out and start exploring the world. However, this doesn’t mean they’re ready to leave the nest without help from you. With a little planning, you can be there for your young adult as they make the next steps toward independence.

About Gerald M. Dorn and the Law Firm

Gerald M. Dorn has been practicing estate planning law for 21 years and is the managing shareholder of the law firm. Mr. Dorn is a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning Law and an Accredited Estate Planner by the National Association of Estate Planning Councils. Mr. Dorn has also been awarded the designation of Academy Fellow from the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys. The Academy Fellow Program recognizes Academy members who demonstrate advanced expertise and significant practical experience in estate planning, trust, tax planning and estate administration fields. The law firm of Anderson, Dorn & Rader, Ltd. is devoted exclusively to estate planning and estate and trust administration. The attorneys at Anderson, Dorn & Rader, Ltd. offer guidance and advice to clients in every area of estate planning and estate and trust administration. For more information or to attend an upcoming seminar, please contact us at (775) 823-9455, or visit us online at

About the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys

Anderson, Dorn & Rader, Ltd. has been a member of the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys since 1995. The Academy is a national organization dedicated to promoting excellence in estate planning by providing its exclusive membership of attorneys with up-to-date research on estate and tax planning, educational materials, and other important resources to empower them to provide superior estate planning services to families in their communities. The Academy expects members to have at least 36 hours of legal education each year specifically in estate, tax, probate, and/or elder law subjects. Since 1993, the Academy has been a highly-regarded and sought-after resource for attorneys and consumers alike, and has been recognized by Consumer Reports, Suze Orman in her book, 9 Steps to Financial Freedom and numerous times by Money Magazine.