Kingsbury Grade Reopens Following Friday Rock Slide; Heaviest Snow To Hit This Weekend
Staff Reports · 2 min read
GARDNERVILLE, Nev. — 2:30 p.m. Update — One lane of Kingsbury Grade was shut down Friday afternoon as Nevada Department of Transportation crews cleaned up a minor rock/mud slide. The road reopened around 2:30 p.m.
The Nevada Department of Transportation lifted chain & snow tire controls on Highway 395 through town and on Highway 88 from 395 to state line midway through Friday morning. Friday. Chains or snow tires are still required over the top of Kingsbury and Spooner.
Multiple slide-offs, collisions and a rollover were reported around the Valley throughout Friday morning.
Around 2 to 4 inches had fallen around the Valley as of 10 a.m., but the snowfall began to taper off after 10 a.m.
Carson Valley is under a winter weather advisory through 10 p.m. tonight, and another 1-2 inches of snow is expected tonight.
“NV Energy has staged multiple crews, troublemen and heavy equipment in potentially hard to reach areas of northern Nevada to improve response time,” said Shawn Elicegui, NV Energy senior vice president customer operations. “We also have a plan in place to transport NV Energy southern Nevada workers if needed and are working closely with other local utilities in order to respond to outages and restore power as quickly and safely as possible.”
NV Energy offers its customers these safety tips:
- Report outages to NV Energy and keep track of restoration efforts by visiting the outage center at nvenergy.com/outage or by calling customer service at 775-834-4444.
- People should stay away or in their car if they encounter a downed power line.
- Call 911 to report the downed line.
- If someone in your house is on life support, develop a backup plan.
- Review safety rules for portable generators if you own one.
- Learn how to override your electric garage door opener.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed to reduce food spoilage. If unopened and full, food can last for two days.
- Create an emergency kit that includes a blanket, flashlight, batteries and first aid supplies. Store these items in a water-tight container.