From The Experts: Be The ‘Hostess With The Mostess’ This Fourth Of July
by Meredith Fischer, Eddy Street Vintage Market
Editor’s Note: This is the latest in a continuing series from Valley and regional professionals offering tips on their trade. Do you have an area of expertise that you’d like to share with our readership? The range of topics is essentially endless, whether it be home improvement or automotive, or even cooking or sewing. E-mail email@example.com if you are interested. This installment, from Meredith Fischer of the Eddy Street Vintage Market, offers some quick and easy tips to aid in planning your Independence Day celebration planning.
GARDNERVILLE, Nev. — 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays! Each year I do a little something different. Here are my top 5 tips for how to throw an unforgettable 4th of July party this weekend:
1. You don’t have to get fancy but your BBQ Party can still be “put together”: It’s a bbq and the last thing you want to do is make your guests feel like they should be wearing a tuxedo. Simultaneously, you don’t have to go all paper and plastic either. Have some mason jars lying around? Place utensils in a napkin, tie with jute or raffia and place in the mason jar and you not only have style you also have function. If you want to take it one step further, use gift tags to personalize each jar.
2. Use festive scrapbook paper as placemats, the best part is you can dispose of it afterwards.
3. Short on tables and chairs? No problem! Place blankets or quilts on the lawn, borrow toss pillows from indoors and create a picnic park!
4. Have something fun to do during the party: Bring back some early Americana games. How about sack races, frisbee, bubble wands, or even croquet? Games will keep the energy level of the party fun and guests will be talking about it until next year’s party.
5. Don’t forget the dessert! Firecracker popcorn is festive and sure to please. Not to mention it’s easy on the hostess to make. Here’s our secret recipe (only share it with your best friends!):
What you will need:
3 bags Pop Secret Homestyle microwave popcorn
1 cup white candy melts
1 cup red candy melts
1 cup blue candy melts
3 packages Strawberry Pop Rocks (Michaels Craft store has these)
• Prepare popcorn according to package directions. Spread onto a cookie sheet and allow to cool. Remove all un-popped kernels.
• Meanwhile, melt the candy melts, one color at a time and drizzle onto the popcorn.
• Sprinkle Strawberry Pop Rocks on the popcorn.
• Add sprinkles and allow to harden completely.
• Serve in festive popcorn boxes and enjoy!
From our family to yours we hope you have a fun and safe holiday weekend! If you try any of our tips, be sure to share the results with us! Happy Independence Day Friends!
Meredith Fischer owns the Eddy Street Vintage Market pop-up shop in Gardnerville. Information, www.eddystreetvintagemarket.com or www.facebook.com/EddyStreetVintageMarket
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS